What does heaven look like?
According to Biblical Descriptions of Heaven, there is a constant chant of holy angels that are continually proclaiming Holy, Holy, Holy over the throne of God. The Mercy Seat in heaven where God sits is surrounded by magnificent angels full of glory and power that proclaim and bless the holy name of God without ceasing.
Some of these are described as beasts, full of eyes, with six wings and neither rest day or night in their proclaiming the holiness of God (Rev. 4:8-11).
Ok cool. Butt not enough.
Jesus did say that in his father’s house there are many mansions. And somewhere else he said he would give us the desires of our hearts.
Here’s the thing. I don’t like mansions.
Having a mansion as my own isn’t the desire of my heart.
And I don’t want to imagine that heaven is just a vast glorious land of mansions and more mansions. It would look like Nigeria, if Nigerians all had the money they so desired…especially the Igbo-build-a-big-house-in-the-village type of Nigerians.
Which brings me back to the question “What does heaven look like?”
Searching Google Images for ideas on what people suppose heaven looks like, I only saw numerous photos of clouds, congregating saints and Disney-type castle cities on the clouds with a bright rainbow on top.
I want to believe that heaven is just a better, ideal, more glorious and utopian version of what we’ve seen here on earth. And more.
1. Is there an economy?
2. Are there skyscrapers, expressways, subways, bridges, parks, mountains, weather changes, townhouses, suburbs, housing estates?
3. Is it just a vast extension of more and more mansions?
I don’t particularly like mansions or big houses. I want a penthouse suite in the heart of the city overlooking the city, the Throne Room and all that. Can that be made available or do I have to settle for a mansion?
4. How do the saints move around heaven? Heaven is a big big city filled with the faithful who died since the beginning of time till now. So there must be some sort of transportation, right? Are there heavenly rails, cars? Do we fly or move at the speed of light?
5. Back to the question of an economy. Is there one? There should be some sort of economic activity. I mean, if the economy was ultimately God’s idea, then heaven shouldn’t be devoid of it. Don’t saints buy and sell?
6. If there is an economy, what are the various aspects of it? There probably wouldn’t be much construction work going on when all the saints have gathered for all eternity. So what others could there be? Agriculture? Media? Technology? Finance? Literature? Art? Commerce? Food? Fashion? Would the saints just be sitting idle playing with animals and trees and waiting for the next worship session?
7. Speaking of fashion, would we be in white robes for all eternity? Talk about hardcore minimalism. Ummm, Jesus, what would happen to fashion? I like pants, dungarees, shirts, jackets, trench coats, SHOES, perfume. I mean, robes and tunics are nice but they are not my style. Will high heel shoes, boots and brogues disappear from existence in heaven? Will we all be relegated to forever wearing robes and sandals? I shudder at the thought.
8. I am mischievous. So I want to look for people’s trouble, fart and run away. Would I be able to do that?
9. Will there be food in heaven? I may be picky, but I love food. Will there be parties, wine, loud GOSPEL music, car races, sunglasses, leather jackets and power bikes, beaches?
C’mon God. If man in all his frailty, flawed imagination and limitations could have created Barcelona, Rome, New York, London, Dubai, Venice, Sun City, Jerusalem, Washington, Seattle, Chicago, Rio de Janeiro, Aspen, Athens and all the beautiful cities of the earth, then I am confident that heaven must be an even better masterpiece.
nice thought but i will answer you with these few words of mine —–“Question for the gods”
truth is heaven is a state of mind. depends on ur imagination. we never know till we die
Looool. OK I thoroughly enjoyed this. Gave me few thoughts of my own as well. But first let me try and answer some of yours.
1. Firstly, the heavenly saints sing God’s praises ALL THE TIME. I don’t think there’s anything else to do in heaven. Besides, I’m sure when you behold God’s indescribable glory, you would WANT to continually praise him.
2. The Bible says there’s no hunger there, so I’m guessing no food. Food comes from the need to fulfill hunger, so…
3. I’m not sure there’s an economy. I’m not sure there’ll be jobs or the need to buy anything. Everything We need will be there, I’m guessing.
All in all, heaven is definitely going to be an awesome place. The person who created this amazing universe will definitely have the greatest pad ever!!!
LikeLiked by 2 people
I get that heaven will be AMAZING, but the thought of eternal inactivity scares me shitless!!
I know there will be a lot of praising going on. But is that it? White robes and singing FOREVERMORE? I love singing but come on!!!
There has to be some sort of economical activity, not driven by the need to not be poor or fear of decline or anything, just because we must keep busy. I mean, even Adam had to tend the garden before the fall of man….worship was done in the evening.
Please don’t scare me with your boring yet beautiful idea of heaven.
I think the rational you’re coming from is the fact that you’re going with your body with which you can dress (Fashion), eat (food), and chill or party. You forget that mortal flesh, you’ll leave behind. Just your soul would be there for eternity. And food for the soul, they say is music… So, i guess the problem is thinking of heaven as a human phenomenon, and trying to explain something spiritual with your physical mind. Those who have tried to explain it are trying to use what we know, stuff we as humans can relate to to describe. I honestly think that using physical experiences and tangible things kind of diminish its actual awesomeness. SO…Just wait and see. Strive to be on that side of the divide, and not the other when the Roll is called up yonder…lol. So you can see it for yourself and experience it. As for looking for trouble, maybe you could have soul farts….lol…
Buhahaha! Nonso ooo your mind how it works, smh! Not to worry I’m sure even if there ain’t no fashion when you turn up there’ll be.
Lmao nonso. Nice thought.